Sunday 22 April 2012

Bone picking with del Toro


I've been reading a lot of books lately. My Dad brought me up to read books as often as possible and to enjoy reading for fun, not just for school. I've always loved reading but during the first term of uni I didn't read much as I hadn't much spare time. Now I'm managing my time better I have some time to read a few books I got at Christmas and a few I bought before then. I want to talk a little about 2 books that were lent to me by a close friend, these books are part of a trilogy beginning with The Strain (2010) then The Fall (2011) and then The Night Eternal. They're written by well known film director Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. 
It's a book about vampires (I swear not everything I read/watch is about vampires, it just so happens to all be happening at once). The premise is that a plane lands at JFK with all it's passengers bar 4 are dead and completely drained of all fluids. The surviving 4 go on to unknowingly spread the virus to everyone in Manhattan. The story center's around Dr Ephraim Goodweather of the CDC and his fight to contain the virus and dispose of the infected and find the original spreader of the virus, The Master. It's a very different telling of the classic man-in-a-cape type of story, one which is more gritty and scary and, more importantly, more believable. 
However, the one thing I have have come to realise about this book is that it is very, very similar to a film that was also directed by Guillermo del Toro in 2002 called Blade 2. The film is the second in a trilogy that follows a vampire hunter named Blade, in this film, the vampires have long tongues with stingers on the ends that infect the bitten instead of simply killing them which completely identical to the creatures in The Strain. This kinda disappoints me because Guillermo del Toro is responsible for such fantastically unique and beautiful films such as Pans Labyrinth (2006) The Orphanage (2007) and the Devils Backbone (2001) and the thought of him simply copying his own idea and making more money from it just really annoys me because I've seen that he can do better. Never the less, this series is shaping up to be a really good read and I still really enjoy it. I would have just liked to have seen a bit more diversity and deviance from that sort of plot line.

No comments:

Post a Comment