Friday 27 April 2012

Music


Today I want to talk about music and the recent songs I've been listening to. I really love finding new music and listening to all sorts of genres, I often pick up songs from TV adverts, films, TV shows etc.
Number 1 most listened to song in the past week has been Serpents by Sharon Van Etten, she has such a fantastic ethereal voice that she layers over in recording and the guitars are very reminicent of early 90's indie type music. Suprisingly this song was only released last year, though it sounds a lot older. I heard this song in the finale of TV show named Lost Girl. I'll post the song below from youtube.
The next is an album I've loved for a very long time, technically it's my Dads but I put it on my iTunes because I love hearing it. It's Hejira by Joni Mitchell. I'm absolutely in love with her voice and her slow, happy-but-sad voice and the way she plays guitar. I hear that as a child she had polio which lead to her hand being crippled so she has to play the guitar in a slightly different way to other musicians, but I think this is good because it lends itself to her having a different sound.
This is a song called Amelia, it's one of my favourite from this album.
The other album I've been playing a lot recently is Real Gone by Tom Waits. I've loved his music since I heard the track 'Dead and Lovely' in an indie comedy film called Wristcutters (worth a watch by the way). I bought this album just before Christmas and I intend to buy more. My Dad tells me that his friend has half of Wait's music on vinyl. That would be worth a listen, I enjoy playing vinyls and I like to hear the slight scratch of the needle on the disk. 
I'll post both 'Dead and Lovely' and 'Sins of my Father' which are my favourite songs from this album.
I really hope you give these a listen and enjoy them, I know I have quite an old taste in music compared to some my age but I just try to like what I like and not like it because it's what I should like at my age.



No comments:

Post a Comment