Sunday 22 April 2012

Just a quick blog about a film


.
Earlier I watched the fourth installment of the Underworld franchise, named Underworld: Awakening (2012)
I'll just explain the general plot before I launch into my 'Why this film sucked' rant.
There have been 3 films so far Underworld (2003) which was the first film to be made, it follows a vampire named Selene (Kate Beckinsale) who fights for the life of a human (Michael) with Lycans (werewolves). I know this sounds cliche and it kind of is but this is not your standard run of the mill vampire vs wolf film. It's very stylised and I really fell in love with it when I first saw it. The second film which followed on was Underworld: Evolution (2006) this again followed Selene and her now partner Michael, who is now a hybrid of Vampire and Lycan. This film was more sexualised and more edgy than the first but was still a great film with really good plot and character development. The third film that was released was a prequel to the first Underworld and it was named Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (2009) this set up a more detailed story for a few characters in both the first and second films, even though I was a little disappointed in the special effects and half the gore looked like strawberry jam and the animated creatures were very animated, making them really easy to spot and making it a little hard to consider them a part of the actual film world. It was however still very good and worth the watch.
But then came Awakening.
I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in a sequel that I was so looking forward to. There was hardly any plot, the film felt way too short and scrambled and I genuinely can't remember all that much of it. But I can't really understand why that happened. It was written by Len Wiseman, who directed the first and second films, it starred Kate Beckinsale, again she was in the first and second films and is usually a really great and captivating actress, Kris Holden-Reid who I've been watching in a recent series and is really good in that but he seemed very flat and boring in Awkening. 
The film itself was pretty and the props well made and the locations perfect for the scenes, but that's not all that makes a film. Mabye I'm being a little harsh because I was looking forward to it a lot but I feel very let down by it.
I'd highly recommend the first 2 films, Underworld and Underworld: Evolution and even the prequel that was then released named Underworld: Rise of the Lycans but definitely not Awakening. It was not a fitting addition to the series, it neither built up much nor moved the story along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment